Saturday, July 7, 2007

Peaceful Saturday

Well, believe it or not-- a lot has happened in the last day or so. Thursday night at around 8pm Dr. Kays from Shands in Gainesville, Florida called me at home. Funny thing is, I felt a little "star-struck" because we have been reading about how talented this man is and how he has the highest survival rate in the country (possibly the world) for treating CDH babies. We had come across information on Shands when we found stuff on CHOP and knew it was a top place for the treatment of CDH babies--but as the days have gone on we've had some very important doctors outside of Birmingham telling us that we MUST get in touch with Dr. Kays if we want our baby to survive and live a normal life. I had called his office earlier this week so I was hoping someone would call me to set up a consultation. He was very up front about his "method"--telling me briefly in our 40 minute conversation how he could/would help us and our baby boy. He is very down to earth--not a salesman at all and I felt very comfortable talking to him. When I told him about my upcoming trip to CHOP he was supportive, as he knows I am trying to do everything I can to save my baby. I asked about the Fetal MRI and he said they used to use it at Shands but they don't do it anymore because they can determine the same information from an ultrasound--if you have the right person reading the ultrasound. I never felt pressured by him during the entire conversation--it was almost as if I were speaking with a close family friend--I could tell he really just wants what is best for my baby.
After the phone call I felt unsure for the first time about our decision to go to CHOP for the consultation. I was concerned that it was going to be superfluous in nature and not as useful as i had anticipated. When Rusty got home I told him of the phone call and my feelings on CHOP--he agreed. We decided to sleep on it. Yesterday morning I received a phone call at 8am from Beth at CHOP calling to go over the itinerary for the 10 hour consultation this coming Tuesday. I told her that I was going to have to postpone our meeting (she wasn't thrilled) and that I would call her back next week. I still felt a little uneasy about doing that--and I don't think it would "hurt" to go for the consultation--but I guess I do think it possibly could added to my anxiety about the baby all together. I had asked another CDH baby's mom about why she didn't get a Fetal MRI and she said it would have just given her more stuff to worry about when everyone readily admits that it is virtually impossible to know how well a baby will do until he is born--regardless of the severity of the CDH. Later that morning Rusty received an email from a family friend who happens to be a thoracic surgeon who has worked with Dr. Kays and has also performed the procedure to repair CDH babies several times--he insisted that Dr. Kays is more than an incredible surgeon, but his treatment for the babies before and after is unmatched and we would be making a huge mistake not going to him. Needless to say, we felt better about our decision to postpone CHOP and I called Shands several times to set up an appointment--hopefully we will hear something on Monday.
Today (Saturday) I feel even better about our decision and I thank God for giving me a peace about it. Rusty and I went out for breakfast this morning while our house was being shown (we took our little dog Tiffany) and sat outside watching the rain and eating bagel breakfast sandwiches. We were surprised by a phone call from Dr. Owen, the man who did my amniocentesis. He said he had just been paged with my results and knew I'd want to hear them immediately--everything came back normal! Keep in mind these are the preliminary results that just check for the top three chromosomal issues: Trisomy 21 (Downs Syndrome), Trisomy 18 and Trisomy 13. We still have to wait for the rest of the test results to be ready in a few weeks--but knowing that Baby Rich only has to deal with the complications of CDH makes things a lot easier--and his chances for survival a lot better.
So, all in all--we feel victorious this weekend! We spoke with the famous Dr. Kays, we had a doctor call with GOOD test results on a Saturday and we have a peace about things right now. We thank God for this gift--and for the rain!

4 comments:

Vicki Jensen said...

Congrats on the first amnio results! I remember feeling a great sense of relief when we got ours back for Jack. I'm also glad to hear you were able to get in touch with Dr. Kays. I really believe that we're guided to certain people and it sounds like Dr. Kays may be the right doctor for you guys. We've gone crazy second guessing ourselves about what hospital and doctor would be best. I think that to some extent it's up to God and the baby and as long as you're in a hospital with an excellent NICU and ECMO capabilities (and a good surgeon) you'll be in good shape. We had the MRI. It did tell us it was a left sided CDH but I'm convinced that the ultrasound would've done the same. You can also usually tell if the heart starts to shift one way or the other. We can tell if the liver is up or down by ultrasound. The MRI was interesting and of course better resolution but I don't know how much it adds to the picture so early on. Just trust your motherly instinct :-)

I hope you hear from Shands soon. Best of luck. You and the baby are in our prayers.

Vicki
-expectant mom to Jack, LCDH, EDD 08-27-07

Anonymous said...

Rusty and Liz, Mike and I praise God with you on your great test results. I know that you have been eagerly waiting the results. Keep trusting your motherly instinct (most of the time it is correct:) ). At least it has been for me with Jordan. The children are also praying for Baby Rich. God bless
Mike and Allison

Anonymous said...

I have had five children and 11 grandchildren praying to St. Gerard. I truly believe that they and many, many other babies I've prayed to him for are alive because of his intercession. In fact, many have Gerard for their middle names!!
Just one more avenue that worked for me.
Much love,
Your Aunt (?) Cousin (?) Martha Torre
(I'm Rusty's Mother's first cousin) and named after our Martha Webb (my Mother was her sister)!

Anonymous said...

Liz,
You all are in our prayers. Keep staying positive! Love you!

Whit