Thursday, January 3, 2008

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?



Rusty shouldn't have been so happy about Par being a little clone...because his little clone is now a mama's boy. (cue hysterical laughter). Par loves his mama...and he isn't consoled as easily by his daddy. Here is a picture of Par alone with his daddy--he seems to be growling at him!



Par was eating well today (via bottle)and he seemed even more at ease in his new surroundings--by late afternoon I tried again to breastfeed--this time using Rusty's advice (which took us back to the beginning in the NICU). I had also received some great advice from another CDH mom who reminded me that Par had always been wide awake before and that his environment was quite different than here. So I duplicated the NICU as best as I could--TV on, lap top with music playing and me talking with fan going and lights--as well as some other early tricks--and what do you know--Par fell for it! He latched on almost immediately and as I write this he hasn't had a bottle since this afternoon--just nursing--he hasn't been fussy at all--quite the contrary. He is now sleeping on my chest. Hopefully he will continue to nurse throughout the night--my days of sleeping through the night may be over until he gets better at nursing--I just can't imagine that he'll be able to make it longer than 2-3 hours--but I guess we'll see. Praise God for such a wonderful gift for mother and child!



Par's bath time was uneventful--except that he sported a mean mohawk. He cried when we took him out--he loves it that much. Along with moving towards exclusive breastfeeding--there are other challenges--the pacifier being one of them--I think it is a great consoling tool--but I have been praying that he would find another way to console himself--he still likes us to hold it in for him--I think it is because he likes the smell of our hands near him--anyway, he has been using his hand lately to console himself--and it seems to be working. Don't worry, I'm not taking away that pacifier just yet (I can just hear family members shouting how cruel that would be to this little boy)...don't worry...I'm moving slow.




In a brief reflection--it seems that one of God's many purposes for giving us Par was to help me with patience--I have always been wired for instant gratification--but now, with Par nursing so well--I look back over 2 months of pumping and breastfeeding attempts--and I am overwhelmed at the gift of patience that I have acquired (with regards to Par--still lacking other places)--without this patience, I wouldn't be enjoying this gift of motherhood. Thanks be to God--ask and ye shall receive!

Thank you for all your prayers--settling into Birmingham has been neat. I have been receiving emails welcoming us back home--I know a lot of my friends and family want to meet Par---and we want you to! Please understand that Par is still fragile (as are other infants during this season, but especially Par). We are excited to be home--we thank you for understanding why we may not "socialize" for a while.

Please continue to pray for Par's friends and their families--we miss them and hope they know they were a huge source of strength for us while in Gainesville.

Much Love,
Liz, Rusty & Par

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

he is just so cute,and good luck with everything,love to all

Anonymous said...

Liz -

Thank you so much for continuing to update your blog. It's one of the first things I look at in the morning and the pictures of Par puts an instant smile on my face! Glad you are settling in and that breastfeeding is going well!

Best,
Alex

Anonymous said...

You got out of G'ville before the coldest days in 5 years. Probably have some cold in Birmingham too. It is delightful to see how Par is adjusting to his new surroundings. It is amazing how babies adjust to what they have had for a long time. Our oldest could sleep through a jet taking off beside base housing, but would wake up if the frig door was opened. Looks like Par's initial white noise is something that was comforting to him. Great idea to replicate it at home for feeding.
Peace,
Anne & Bob

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you all are doing so well at home!! It just gets better and better!!

Love and prayers,
Zandra

Cindy said...

Par's expression in that first picture is HILARIOUS! And I love the mohawk!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, we had to hold Makena's pacifier in until she was 6 months old!!
Of course now she's an old pro!
Things are looking great and I so enjoy reading your updates!

Best,
Libby Cohen
Mama to Makena
LCDH 9/30/06