Friday, January 18, 2008

Don't take their place!!!!



For every mother and father out there--there have probably been many times when you've seen your child struggle or in pain and you responded to this struggle/pain by saying, "Oh, if I could take your place, I would"
Well I am here to tell you--those are stupid words. Children are much better at handling the pain and will soon forget the trauma than adults--from now on I'll just say "I would take the pain away if I could."
You see, I discovered today that I am just a big wimp. I have long prided myself on a "high tolerance for pain" yet today I found myself wincing at the alcohol wipe and immaturely not inviting the nurses into the room when they knock. Today has been rough--I was all excited to find out that plans were in process for me to be discharged tomorrow and then things started to unravel (uh...remind you of anything? NICU2?) Anyway, I started to run a fever and then my kidney started hurting a lot--to the point where I needed a pain killer. On top of that, my vein blew and so I lost my IV--I thought they might finish my antibiotic orally but that was a no go. So--count them--one, two, three, four, five nurses attempted to place the IV--yes, that gigantic needle was stuck into me 5 times unsuccessfully. Not to mention the number people who came and checked to see if they saw a vein and left without a stick. Finally, the nurse who had first put the IV in on Tuesday showed up and saved the day--but I do look like a drug addict with all the needle marks.
So, I don't know when I am going home. I can't control my fever--and in the long run, I need to get better or I could end up with kidney damage. As I may have mentioned before, my hurry is Par's baptism on Sunday.







Par enjoyed himself today--my nurse just loved him and was very attentive to both of our needs. He was all smiles this morning--and of course when his dad showed up (he always smiles for Rusty). He was so good when I went through a bad spell of pain/fever this afternoon--but was very intent on letting us know when he was hungry--and in turn, very good at eating it. Go Par! We haven't weighed him since Tuesday so I am anxious to weigh him when we get home.
Par and I are spending tonight alone--because of the pending snow storm, I didn't want my mom stuck here at the hospital and Rusty needed to be at home with Tiffany. Par and I are all snuggled up in the bed waiting on the snow--we are quite the pair--IV drips and oxygen--both of us tethered to these machines--thank goodness Par isn't a toddler or we would be way tangled up. I feel alright--the nurse just brought in a hot pack for my kidney to go to sleep with--please pray that my kidney will be healed and the fever gone and that we will be able to leave tomorrow, even if it is snowing. Praise God for all the blessings he has given us.
Hopefully we'll have snow pictures tomorrow.
Love,
Liz, Rusty & Par

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

well liz i hope that you get better and that you are out of the hospital tomorrow,i didnt know that par was going to be baptized on sunday,we hope that your fever goes away,"DEAR LORD PLEASE HELP LIZS FEVER AND PAIN TO GO AWAY AND PLEASE HELP HER TO BE ABLE TO BE OUT OF THE HOSPITAL AND GO TO PARS BAPTISM ON SUNDAY,LOVE AND HUGS TO ALL OF YOU,AND GOD BLESS.

Anonymous said...

dearest Liz...so sorry to hear that you're still experiencing the fever and pain. Know that you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Love ya,

Josh, Tina, & The Bun

Anonymous said...

Liz I sooo hope you feel better soon. It is not fun being sick esp when you have a little. Still praying that you feel better soon!! Allison

Anonymous said...

Oh Liz!!! I hope all of this goes away really soon!!! On a high note...Par looks wonderful!!! He looks so healthy and precious!!! We are thinking about you guys!!!

Love and prayers,
Zandra and Emaline

Anonymous said...

Liz & Rusty,

I cannot imagine how sick of hospital beeps, etc., you are! We are constantly thinking of you and hope you beat this infection very soon. The pictures of Par smiling yesterday and you holding him are the absolute cutest and sweetest I have ever seen. I think you should do blogging as a service and you would make a nice living. :) Love and hugs from Lynley, Robin & Baby Davis

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better today! We are enjoying your B'ham snow. Hope we will get to see you all one of these days we are here.

love,
Leslee and family from NC

Anonymous said...

Liz, Hope you are feeling better. It is snowing here now. We like to see snow that sticks on the grass and trees but not the roads. Par is adorable as usual. We are praying for you. Love and Blessings, Jim and Sheila

A simple being said...

oh liz, i just have to post. i do wish and will pray that your back on your feet and home and esp. in church for the special day with par. i admit that i have been a lurker for a while now, i found your blog weeks before you went to sands. i wll also admit, that as your story unfolded, i was struck with amazement and such joy for you and rusty, and now dear par that i found myself checking on your guys often, almost twice a day. we had twins, aubrey evangelene grace was not able to beat the cdh but i have met and continue to meet amazing and wonderful people through cdh every day. your family is an inspiration of faith, love and joy. and it doesn't hurt that par is just so stinkin' cute, those eyes, im a sucker for big eyes!