Friday, November 23, 2007

EXTUBATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!









That's right--Par was extubated this afternoon--a complete surprise for us! We checked on him early this morning and the nurse said he was doing well and his blood gas had been good at 4am so he was weaned a tad bit more. When we got there it was really busy--the new CDH baby had arrived (a little girl) and the NICU was hoppin'! We visited with him for a while--he still seemed a little confused by his new surroundings--but we had a big surprise for him--his new mobile! We were also a bit confused--he looked different but we couldn't figure out why--and then we realized the oximeter strip (the thing on his forehead that measures oxygen in the brain) was missing--we were seeing Par's head for the first time--and it is just as cute as the rest of him! When I left to pump (which if you haven't figured out by now, is an every two hours ritual)Darrell and Mary took turns visiting with Par. When I was finished, I sat in the waiting room and waited for Darrell to come out so I could go back in and sit with my precious baby. Rusty and Darrell came out together and Rusty said (without any sort of facial expression), "Dr. Kays says he needs to speak with us together"--or course I had a mini-freakout in my head and quickly asked why. Rusty then said, "He thought Par's mama would want to hear him cry for the first time when he extubates him"--I was so excited! So we went in and waited excitedly by Par's bed. I was telling Par everything that was about to happen--he just stared at me looking very confused. Dr. Kays came over and joined the two nurses and....well...just watch the video. (FYI- you will see the actual extubation, so if you don't like seeing tubes pulled out of a little baby's throat--then you may want to prepare to turn your head) Rusty and I are so proud of Par--this is such a HUGE step for him and we are praying that he will take to the CPAP. The CPAP is the getup he has on in place of his ET tube.



We are headed back over to visit our baby and will update later tonight with some precious pictures of him. Liz, Rusty & Par

UPDATE: 12:10 AM

Par is sound asleep--he is tolerating the CPAP very well with saturations of 100/100. We tucked him in with his blanket made by his Gigi--he is very warm and cozy. As much as we wanted to wake him up--we knew it was best to leave him asleep since he had been a little agitated earlier by this big change. Rusty and I stood over him and said our bedtime prayer.

Please keep Jonathan, Ella and new CDH baby girl in your prayers. We ask God to bless each of these babies and all of the parents--we thank him sincerely for this amazing journey.

May God bless you.
Liz, Rusty & Par

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rusty, Liz and Precious Par, What a great day!!! Darrell called me after they left to tell me. He also said that now you can see Par better and he his the most beautiful baby. I can not wait to see the pictures. Love and Blessings, Sheila

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!!! Another great step forward!!! What a wonderful day!! We are so proud of Par and how strong he is!!!

Love and prayers,
Zandra

charlotte said...

"Rejoice in the Lord always
and again I say rejoice!!!"
what great news to hear!
love y'all...

Anonymous said...

WOW!! That is so great! I love getting to see all of his face.

:o)~
bh

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a blessed day! Is is so good to see Par's precious face. Another blessing of the Thanksgiving weekend. Our thoughts and prayers continue for the three of you, Ella, Jonathan and their parents and the new little one who has joined them.

Peace,

Anne & Bob

Anonymous said...

What an awesome day!!!!! Liz I still think he looks like his Daddy. Although I have never seen your baby pics. Love and prayers are being sent to all of you. Allison

Tricia said...

Oh LIZ! I got tears in my eyes reading that. What an amazing, amazing sight! He is doing SO WELL! One step closer to holding your precious boy!

Many, many continued prayers for you and your family!

B.Petrey said...

Wonderful news! We have loved being able to keep a close eye on your handsome little one. Par is an amazing example of God's love. Love and prayers, B, B, & C

Anonymous said...

Liz & Rusty-I have been following Par's progress since Day 1 and got chills today when I saw the pictures of him extubated!
By the end of the entry, I was in tears...tears of excitement for you guys. I know how excited you must be!
Way to go Par (oh, and you might be biased, but he is one REALLY cute kid!!)

Best,
Libby Cohen
Mama to Makena LCDH 9/30/06
www.caringbridge.org/visit/makena

Angela said...

Yeah!!! What a great day!! Par has the most precious face especially now that we can see all of it!! I am so glad that everything keeps continuing in the right direction! I hope you all are doing well.
Love, Angela Grooms

Vicki Jensen said...

I cried HAPPY tears for you when I saw the video and heard PAR. What a milestone day for your family. I'm so thrilled that you guys were blessed with this gift and that PAR continues to do so well.
CONGRATS!
Love
Vicki & Jack (8-20-07, LCDH)

Cindy said...

YAY Par! I'm so excited for you guys. Now that he has been extubated I hope you get to hold him soon.

Anonymous said...

OK so I got to see the video now and I feel so blessed that you have shared yet another miracle with us. Again He is SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!! I hear you got to hold him today too! I am so thankful for that. Still praying,Allison

Anonymous said...

xhello rusty,liz,and sweet,beautiful,par.I am so very happy for you all to get to hold your beautiful baby,he is so cute, and i am so HAPPY that he is doing so well and so excited for you all,i told my sister sharon that i had to check out this site everyday and that i have gotten so attached to you all and i dont even know you all,my sister sharon worked with mary at the school when they taught together,when mary told sharon about baby par and you all,my sister emailed all of us and told us to be in prayer and alot of people in this area have been praying alot for you all,there isnt a day that doesnt go by that i dont pray for the three of yall and all the babies in the hospotal and there families as well and i hope that you all have a blessed night and peaceful rest and sleep and hope that baby par has a good night as well. love to you all, and big hugs and kisses to par.

Anonymous said...

hello liz, i have ask about pars being able to eat /nurse,if this bothered/offended you i am so sorry,just wondering how all of that is going to work and concerned for you and for him as far as eating and his progress, just a concerned parent to another parent.