Thursday, September 6, 2007

Hiccups!!!

Not much to report...just a little drama. I had my regular OB appointment yesterday morning. I arrived early thinking they could get me in and out--but Dr. Christine had someone go into labor so I had to wait in the room for some time. I didn't mind so much, I read some magazines and then our baby boy got the hiccups! I hadn't felt hiccups before and I hadn't really thought about it--but sure enough--he was hiccuping and every time his little fanny would bump out--it was precious! When Dr. Christine did come in I told her about the hiccups and she said it was good because it means he is swallowing. She then measured me (still exactly on target--31 weeks tomorrow!)and listened for the baby's heartbeat. It took a while for her to find it because he was wiggling around so much--i didn't freak out or anything because I could feel him moving while she was listening for it and she did eventually pick up a nice heartbeat (134 bpm). Just to be on the safe side, she ordered an ultrasound to check my fluid levels because this could be an indication my levels are too high--so back to the waiting room I went! Of course waiting (alone) only made me worry that they might be too high. But then they called my name and I went in and the ultrasound technician seemed clueless about our baby--she kept quizzing me about the levels and why I needed to have them checked--I told her my baby has CDH and she seemed happy and said "I've never seen that before!"--almost in an excited way. Usually I'm okay about this--I know now that we really need the word out about CDH so I have used a lot of opportunities to educate people--but this seemed absurd. I climbed on the table and she quickly did her measurements and I could tell she was wrapping up and I asked if she'd take some pictures of the baby's face--she said "I thought you got a lot of ultrasounds done" and I was like, yes and they are all focused on the chest and abdomen." So she quickly went and took a few pics of our precious baby's face (he really looks a lot like Rusty) and then started scanning over his chest and abdomen. I was getting so uncomfortable and after about 20 minutes of her "trying to figure out where the hernia is" and asking me to point stuff out--i started to move around a lot on the table--I was so uncomfortable and starting to feel weird. She finally was like "I give up--you are obviously uncomfortable" and helped me sit up--about this time i went deaf and everything went dark and I could tell she just said something and I said "I need water and Nurse Cindy". I don't know how I didn't pass out off the table--but they made it back in time to help me to the chair. Nurse Cindy was kind enough to call my mom (Rusty had to be in Montgomery all day for work and this was supposed to be an uneventful visit) to come pick me up. Needless to say, my fluid levels look fine and so does the baby! Cindy immediately commented it was from laying on my back for so long--so hopefully that ultrasound tech learned a lesson.
Poor Rusty, little Philip Andrew is still playing "can't catch me" with Rusty when it comes to him feeling the kicks. I'm hoping he'll get the hiccups again soon and then Rusty can definitely feel that. Please keep praying for our little boy--we can feel everyone's prayers and they are so comforting! We thank you so much. As we follow other CDH baby's stories from people we've come in contact with we are constantly asking God to prepare our hearts for this difficult journey--especially when it comes to not being able to hold our baby (probably for about a month) and in some cases, not being able to give him kisses or touch him. We know that this is just part of what it will take for him to be healed (funny, it seems contrary to what i'm sure every mother and father "feel")--and we know it will be difficult--but we are praying for patience in that respect. Thank you for your love and support.
Liz

5 comments:

Vicki Jensen said...

What a crazy visit. I hope you did get a nice face picture. I hope they'll do 3D for you too. I lived for those and was lucky that my high risk OB indulged me every visit.

Philip is in my prayers every night. I pray for strong lungs and patience for you and Rusty. You will find the courage when you see Philip the first time.

Take care in the remaining weeks!
Vicki
Jack's mom, 8-20-07, LCDH

Cindy said...

Sorry that you had to endure the long ultrasound with the clueless technician. That passing out feeling is AWFUL. I can't believe you are already 31 weeks, time sure does fly. I am also praying for you and Philip everyday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz. Nice to see the update on the site. Baby hiccups are so funny! Holt had them all the time when he was in my tummy and continued to have them for the first two months of his life outside!!

I had a similar experience of almost passing out when I was preggers with Holt. I was at the beauty salon getting my hair done and the shampoo person was taking a really long time with me - massaging my neck and head. I know she had really good intentions, but I started to feel really nausus and light headed and told her I thought I was either going to be sick or pass out, so she got me upright and I was fine in a few minutes. It was just from laying back for so long.

Also, regarding Rusty still being "shut out" on the baby kicks. One of the things Robby really enjoyed when I was pregnant with Holt was when I would curl/spoon behind him in bed, with my stomach to his back, because then he would be able to feel Holt kicking throughout the night. Thinking back, it's really amazing that we were even able to sleep that way, what with the 4 pillows I had to have under my legs, hips, butt and head!!! We weren't able to do this the last month because I had to sleep sitting straight up due to my heartburn!

Anyway, hope you are well. We miss you in the neighborhood and are always thinking about and praying for you and your family.

Alex

Catie Murphy said...

Liz,

I love reading your updates! Thank you so much for taking the time to write. Lee and me are heartily praying for baby Philip Andrew, you and Rusty!
with love,
Catie

Nancy said...

Dear Rusty and Liz,
We have been praying for the three of you and will continue to lift you up in our prayers. Isn't it reassuring to know that God is in control and that He will see you through each minute of each day and give you strength?! We pray that ever step of delivery and afterwards be a miracle for you and your baby and that everything will go much better that you anticipate now.
Love, second cousin, Nancy Wootton